Rover 200 / 400 Rover 200/400 - My heater Fan doesn't work on speeds 1,2 & 3 - "How Do I?" - Page 30 - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Ask The Gurus! - Help and Advice Forums > How Do I - Answers To Common Problems.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 20:04   #581
Madoda

Car: Rover 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by technozen View Post
I had to sort this problem on a mates 200 today, rather than buying a new resistor pack I decided to replace the resistors using standard ceramic resistors. I had already done this on my own car a while ago.
More details to follow, Dave I used some of your pics in the tutorial I made up.
Hey Technozen, any news on when your tutorial will be up for us dummies to use? Mine is dead on all 4 speeds now and I hate to put the bendy-wire pack back in. Do you have the resistance values for each resistor? I might be able to go to Maplins and make up my own if you do and would be willing to share them. Many thanks, mate.
Madoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-2010, 20:46   #582
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: 200vi & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
I removed the tutorial as all of the information including the resistor values is now included in this thread.
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.
technozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2010, 12:34   #583
Teachessail

Car: MG TF
Thumbs up I'm no mechanic but I managed this fix

Thanks to this forum I managed to fix my heater as it also wouldn't work on 1 & 2. I bought a resistor on Ebay and paid 18.95 including postage. It took me less than 30 mins to fit and I'm def not mechanically minded. Whilst you're fixing it is def worth cleaning out the pollen filter. Whilst you have the filter out run the fan on full to remove leaves and debris that may be blocking the outlet. If you don't there's a good chance a blockage can cause the resistor to bun out again.

Thanks for everyone who posted to help me with my fix. Brilliant site.
Teachessail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-03-2010, 23:35   #584
bugman293371

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
I managed to get a replacement resistor pack from a breakers yard, they wanted a fiver but I only had 4.49 in change so they took that. Swapped it over in about 15 mins and now got 1st & 2nd speeds working again.

Was going to buy resistors and have a dabble at soldering them on, but this was my saviour. (unless I still do it and sell it on ebay).

Thanks for all the help and advice regarding this problem.

Steve
bugman293371 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 13:22   #585
pgee

Hi all, a newie here. Thanks for the thread so far. I've had the dead fan on positions 1 & 2 problem as well - both died at the same time I think. Found that the middle resistor was broken so I got new coils from Rezpax and have just spent a couple of hours reminding myself how bad I am at soldering...and the fan STILL doesn't work on the two lowest settings. Anyone got any ideas what my next port of call should be? Its a '98 414Si in case that has any bearing.
Thank you
Pete
pgee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 14:13   #586
mark2004uk

Car: rover 416
Exclamation Done all this

I have taken this thing out, where is the motor its self I need to check its not seized up. Also the 40amp D fuse in the engine compartment keeps popping, could these be connected, my car worn even try to start, the AA chap said it was imobbalizer fault. ?? Any ideas,
mark2004uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 13:33   #587
robham

Car: Rover 414 SI 16V 1999
Smile

i just went to my local scrappy and got another one, and heypresto....it now works perfectly....thanks
robham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2010, 22:42   #588
Martyn668

Car: MG ZS
Anyone got any thoughts on W22 resistors? My electrician chappy at work doesn't like the long ceramic jobs mounted "japanese" style, as he says they'll wobble about (even though everyone here is happy with the solution, and they're hanging, so the legs aren't under any particular strain). The only downside to the W22's is they're about twice the price, but that means I might end up spending 6 instead of 3 - even in these straitened times, I might be able to stretch to that.

Here they are (random resistance selected as an example):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=1995505

He says they're better built, and smaller, so neater mounting.

Thanks in advance.

Martyn
Martyn668 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-06-2010, 12:53   #589
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

The W22 resistors are only 16mm less in length than the SBCH 7 watt resistors.

You will still need 2 of each 7 watt W22 to achieve the correct disippation, the advantage of the square bodied SBCH is that they can be grouped together and wrapped with a piece of wire etc. so that they stay in place.

Either resistor type can be mounted very close to the pack terminals, so again length and hanging resistors isn't an issue.

The most important thing here is correct values of resistance and ensuring that the resistors used are able to disippate the power, get this wrong and they simply won't last.

The current flow through the resistor pack can be up to 20 amps!
Discounted SCU/BCU Full Relay Replacement Service - only for Supporters - details here
Replacement relays for the Pektron SCU available - .org Supporters buy 4, 5th is free - PM for details.

Old 29-06-2010, 18:22   #590
S_to_the_J

Car: Rover 25
ive just used this to swap mine....love it! haha

SJ
S_to_the_J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2010, 12:05   #591
Sama

Car: MG ZS
I have the very same fault on my MG ZS 120+.
I presume the procedure is the same, is that right?
Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2010, 15:02   #592
col_m

Car: 416 SLi
I've just fixed mine, took 5 minutes. By the way, one from a Rover 45 will fit a Rover 400.
col_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-07-2010, 18:02   #593
iskra

Thumbs up hi

tnx from post.
iskra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-08-2010, 22:17   #594
TRUEFOLIX

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
change only one resistor of resistor's pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by technozen View Post
I had to sort this problem on a mates 200 today, rather than buying a new resistor pack I decided to replace the resistors using standard ceramic resistors. I had already done this on my own car a while ago.
More details to follow, Dave I used some of your pics in the tutorial I made up.
My question is: if you change only one of resistor's pack, you have to solder two joints with stain solder but therefore the resistors become very hot when working, i think this excessive heat will melt the joints... So to avoid this you have to crimp the new resistor anyway with fast-on or similar metallic tubes. I have to change the resistor of the second fan speed which is about 0,75 to 1 Ohm and 10W power. Since i haven't found it in local stores, i'm considering to build it with steel wire and to fix it with a crimping joint to the other resistors.
TRUEFOLIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-08-2010, 23:32   #595
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

Not necessary, the resistor temperature never exceeds 65-70 degrees C when operating thanks to the forced cooling by the fan.

Old 28-08-2010, 00:33   #596
sergiovacuette

Car: Classic Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Carefully remove the resistor

The fault is plain to see.

Refitment is a simple reversal of the above process.
Ok,
Your ideia is great, but after take a look to the pictures I dont see any resisters but 3 coils.
An electromagnetic coil (or simply a "coil") is formed when a conductor (usually an insulated solid copper wire) is wound around a core or form to create an inductor or electromagnet. One loop of wire is usually referred to as a turn, and a coil consists of one or more turns. For use in an electronic circuit, electrical connection terminals called taps are often connected to a coil. Coils are often coated with varnish and/or wrapped with insulating tape to provide additional insulation and secure them in place.
Thats the reason you have very small resistence values.
sergiovacuette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-08-2010, 02:05   #597
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

The wire used is Constantan........................................ ...

Old 30-10-2010, 23:28   #598
wellybob

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
are you doing the resistor kits?
wellybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-10-2010, 23:43   #599
technozen
Mmmm....Rover..

No, sorry.

Haven't supplied the kits for at least a year now.

Old 03-11-2010, 16:46   #600
barbkavanagh

Thanks to your advice i have just fixed my heater and saved myself 50. Garage quoted 65 but I found the part for 15 and did it myself. I am female and found it easy so if I can do it so can anyone
barbkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote