Sunroof Repair - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 14-05-2008, 14:25   #1
SMC_ROVER_25
Banned

Car: rover
Sunroof Repair

hi all

in the next few weeks im going to have a go at fixing the sunroof leak as there is a big gap at the back of thre seal and lots of bubles looking things which i think is rust

can anyone give me a brand/link to the stuff i need to repair it

ie selent , rust treatment

thanks
SMC_ROVER_25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-05-2008, 14:26   #2
empsburna

Car: Other Manufacturer
http://forums.mg-rover.org/search.php
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-05-2008, 14:34   #3
MyMgCar.com

Car: R2h1zZle Vvf0sh1Zzle!!
Send a message via MSN to MyMgCar.com Send a message via Skype™ to MyMgCar.com
Have a look in halfords, b&q, homebase, ebay for rust treatment and sealants. Just take your pick and read the guide in the how-to
MyMgCar.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-05-2008, 14:36   #4
Rover_214_16V

Car: 59 plate Ford Fiesta
http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/645898
Sealant!

Try tippers also.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId_90912
Rust stuff

Or try Krust.

What exaclty are you going to do steve? Take the seal off, and re-fit?
Rover_214_16V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-05-2008, 14:37   #5
SMC_ROVER_25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTL2000 View Post
Have a look in halfords, b&q, homebase, ebay for rust treatment and sealants. Just take your pick and read the guide in the how-to
i did read the how to guide it sound good will use it for sure

Old 14-05-2008, 14:39   #6
SMC_ROVER_25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_214_16V View Post
http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/645898
Sealant!

Try tippers also.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId_90912
Rust stuff

Or try Krust.

What exaclty are you going to do steve? Take the seal off, and re-fit?
yes mate i am there a little gap at the back pasenger side of the seal where you can see in so taking it of and doing a refit is what the
how to said to do

Old 14-05-2008, 14:43   #7
Rover_214_16V

Right ok, i've done this with my dad, and we think we made it worse

The seal has to be put on very tight after, you need to pull it hard every time you push it against the glass. Because upon refitting, where the two points meet at the one side of the sunroof is a gap, about 1cm in size, which is pretty large, so we have filled this gap with sealant...

Leak still hasn't gone away

Old 14-05-2008, 14:47   #8
SMC_ROVER_25
Banned

but i know where mines is so if i can fix this part it will be fine

Old 14-05-2008, 14:48   #9
Rover_214_16V

Ok good luck, post pics up before and after.

When you going to do this?

Old 14-05-2008, 14:52   #10
SMC_ROVER_25
Banned

when i get time to soon as i want it for the summer

thanks for the help

smc

Old 14-05-2008, 15:15   #11
Sejin26

Car: Rover 75
Word of advice, avoid Kurust it's rubbish and makes rust come back even quicker. The Loctite Rust Remady is more expensive but does infact work.
Sejin26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-05-2008, 07:50   #12
ironeagleuk

Car: Rover 25 1.4iXL
Looks like I'm going to have to tackle this at the weekend

Opened the sunroof this morning on the way to work, and heard alot of crunching sounds and thought "that don't sound good".

Got to work, and looked at the sunroof, and half the seal was hanging off at the back where the join is, and loads of rusty metal flakes were on top of the sunroof.

I knew it leaked and was rusty, but didn't realise it was that bad

This is what I think I need...can anyone confirm, and see if I need anything else?

TOOLS
-----
Flatblade Screwdriver
Vacuum Cleaner
Paint Brush
Small Wire Brush
Wire wool
Scraper

PARTS
-----
Rust killer paint
Rubber grease
Vaseline
Chemical Metal
Silicone sealant
Talc

Last edited by ironeagleuk; 23-05-2008 at 08:39.
ironeagleuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-05-2008, 11:48   #13
ironeagleuk

Have looked at the seal....it seems worse at the back.....is it worth doing the whole thing, or might I get away with just doing the back part?

Last edited by ironeagleuk; 23-05-2008 at 16:23.

Old 23-05-2008, 23:38   #14
stuartm1

Car: 06 MG ZT CDTi
I was going to tackle mine last weekend but when I pulled back the seal where it joins just to have a look the rust looked worse than I thought - put it this way if I start sanding it down there'll be several bits missing.

I've got 4 or 5 bubble parts where the seal has left a gap between the glass panel. I don't want to take the seal completely off as I think the problem may get worse as I suspect the seal will not go back on aswell as it is now.

I hunted around for a decent rust remover - Halfords only sell Krust, Focus no anti-rust treatment at all (?) and thought bugger this. Getting the proper equipment is the first problem.

It very rarely leaks inside the car which is why I'm reluctant to 'repair' mine and when it does it's just the odd drip on the passenger side but it will need doing before end of summer. Either that or I sell it and buy a non sunroof Rover / MG by end of summer.
stuartm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2008, 05:35   #15
becki

Car: renault megane scenic 1.6 16v sport
Send a message via MSN to becki Send a message via Yahoo to becki
i got lots of rust bubbles on mine, in the end, i got a tube of silicone sealant, the clear one of course, from B&Q and sealed between the glass and the seal.. its only temporary, it still leaks when the wind is in a certain direction (havent worked out from which yet), and the silicone shrinks and splits in the sun but hey, who said sunroofs were easy eh!!
becki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2008, 10:26   #16
ironeagleuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartm1 View Post
I hunted around for a decent rust remover - Halfords only sell Krust, Focus no anti-rust treatment at all (?) and thought bugger this. Getting the proper equipment is the first problem.
I bought some Hammerite rust killer stuff for mine from Halfords....this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_90912

Did the first coat last night, and the second this morning (2 hours between coats).....just waiting for that to dry before I tackle putting the sealant on, and the seal back in place.
I think it's going to be quite awkward.

I just wish you could remove the glass on its own easily, but doesn't look like there's a straightforward way of doing that

Last edited by ironeagleuk; 24-05-2008 at 10:31.

Old 24-05-2008, 10:43   #17
Rover_214_16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartm1 View Post

I've got 4 or 5 bubble parts where the seal has left a gap between the glass panel. I don't want to take the seal completely off as I think the problem may get worse as I suspect the seal will not go back on aswell as it is now.
Exactly what happened to mine, it's not a great fit, not at all!

Old 25-05-2008, 00:53   #18
stuartm1

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by becki View Post
i got lots of rust bubbles on mine, in the end, i got a tube of silicone sealant, the clear one of course, from B&Q and sealed between the glass and the seal.. its only temporary, it still leaks when the wind is in a certain direction (havent worked out from which yet), and the silicone shrinks and splits in the sun but hey, who said sunroofs were easy eh!!
I also did this last summer and sealed right round the sunroof between the seal and glass - I may take all the old sealant off and redo that again.

Mine's is only the very odd drip on the passenger side that normally wets the passenger seat near the handbrake. The leaking doesn't really bother me it's the rust.

They should have made the sunroof frame with plastic and also have put a plastic tray where the fuel filler cap is.

Old 25-05-2008, 01:23   #19
stuartm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagleuk View Post
I bought some Hammerite rust killer stuff for mine from Halfords....this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_90912

Did the first coat last night, and the second this morning (2 hours between coats).....just waiting for that to dry before I tackle putting the sealant on, and the seal back in place.
I think it's going to be quite awkward.

I just wish you could remove the glass on its own easily, but doesn't look like there's a straightforward way of doing that
I did look for Hammerite but none of the 2 nearest Halfords or other DIY stores near me stocked it or any rust treatment except for Krust.

There isn't an easy way to get the glass panel off as I'd looked at that option also. Leaving the roof untreated it will get only get worse anyway so there's not much to lose really. Once I get some decent anti rust paint I might give it a bash. To think I paid Rover an extra 250 to install an electric sunroof (I never use) when I ordered the car - bad mistake.

Old 25-05-2008, 11:30   #20
ironeagleuk

Well I finished mine yesterday morning, after letting the anti-rust paint dry overnight and added another coat that had 2 hours to dry.

Adding the sealant was a messy business, and just hope I can get the excess off with white spirit.

The car was parked overnight on a driveway that slopes down.....unfortuntely (or not) we had torrential rain last night, and the roof still leaks on the drivers side at the front (used to also leak on the passenger side). I thought I had sealed all the areas, but obviously not....and can't see where the water is coming in....I had a look late last night in the rain.

At leat the seal is now fixed back into the groove (for now) though, and have got rid of all the rusty flakes.

After I put the seal on, there was about an half inch gap at the back, which I filled with sealant, and used vaseline on the paint work to prevent sticking....that seems to have been successful.