Tightened Throttle Cable = Huge Improvement - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00   #1
mrconstantine

Car: Trophy Blue MG ZT 180+
Tightened Throttle Cable = Huge Improvement

I had always felt that my car was sluggish at the low rpms and I had to push the accelerator a long way before it did anything. Friends who had driven my car had noticed it too, they drive crappy old 4 cylinder Mazda's that are more responsive than my ZT180 KV6. I drove a mates Toyota Camry yesterday and the accelerator was 10x more sensitive than mine. After stripping down the VIS actuators and finding cracked solder joints and a burnt out PCB track I thought I was about to be driving a whole new car once I installed it again but it felt exactly the same. My car never had trouble at the high rpm end, kickdowns worked perfect and it flies after 3000rpm, it was just general soft driving that sucked.

I then figured out how to tighten the throttle cable. The cable is on the right side of the engine near the throttle body of course, and goes through a threaded metal tube which is screwed into a black plastic square plate that is pushed into a housing. You can pull this black plate upwards and out along with the cable and threaded tube and spin it around so it moves closer to the actual throttle lever, this effectively shortens the cable and reduces the slack. I turned mine about 6 turns, and it can probably go further but it's pretty dark out now I'll tweak it a bit more tomorrow. Took it for a test drive and finally found the improved throttle sensitivity I was looking for, it no longer feels like a wet sponge, and I'm confident it can be even better.

I highly recommend doing this if your car is old, it could just be a simple cable adjustment and not a $1000 manifold replacement. Just don't tighten it too much as it needs to return back to neutral position for the engine to idle normally. Be careful, especially if you're in an automatic, you don't want it to take off hard as soon as you put it in D!

edit: moved the pics up here

Heres the throttle cable..

Pop it out and spin the black square so it moves closer towards you.

Put it back and you're done, just make sure it still has some slack so it can idle properly.

The black square on mine was about halfway up the threads (before I took the pictures), you can see how far forward it is now, quite a big difference.

Last edited by mrconstantine; 10-09-2009 at 01:13.
mrconstantine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 17:53   #2
davidm_uk

Car: 75 CDTi Club SE Auto (53 reg)
I had thought that the 75s (and MGs) were "fly by wire", ie the accelerator pedal just moves a potentiometer which then sends an electrical signal to the ECU to control the throttle, or maybe this is just on the diesels?
davidm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 18:23   #3
tazman3

Car: Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso - MG TF 115 Xpower Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_uk View Post
I had thought that the 75s (and MGs) were "fly by wire", ie the accelerator pedal just moves a potentiometer which then sends an electrical signal to the ECU to control the throttle, or maybe this is just on the diesels?

Yep just the diesels mate....

Martin
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 19:10   #4
Mr Edd

Car: Honda Odyssey EX-L
Good info for us novices. Any chance of a proper "How To" with pictures? I'd like to have a go at this.

Edd
Mr Edd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 19:35   #5
miketata

Car: 2.5/ jeep patriot crd
this has been reported before by zs owners. Massive improvement by tightening and lubricating throttle cable
miketata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 21:41   #6
tazman3

Quite simple really Edd, looking at the throttle body to the left of it you will see the accelarator cable and the black securing thingy ma jig....(technical term).

It just pops up and you screw it towards the front of the car to take up the slack in the cable......but be careful not to tighten up too much or you will be over revving at idle.....will try and get some pics up tomorrow..

Martin

Old 07-09-2009, 21:58   #7
Mr Edd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Quite simple really Edd, looking at the throttle body to the left of it you will see the accelarator cable and the black securing thingy ma jig....(technical term).

It just pops up and you screw it towards the front of the car to take up the slack in the cable......but be careful not to tighten up too much or you will be over revving at idle.....will try and get some pics up tomorrow..

Martin

So if I fiddle with my thingy-ma-jiggly I will get me revs up... hmm sounds good to me!!!

Edd

Old 07-09-2009, 22:00   #8
tazman3

yep sounds about right mate......

Martin

Old 07-09-2009, 23:10   #9
OhNoItsD

Car: 54 ZT260 SE
Pictures, pictures, pictures. We love pictures !!
OhNoItsD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2009, 03:46   #10
mrconstantine

Here are photos as requested!

Heres the throttle cable..

Pop it out and spin the black square so it moves closer towards you.

Put it back and you're done, just make sure it still has some slack so it can idle properly.

The black square on mine was about halfway up the threads (before I took the pictures), you can see how far forward it is now, quite a big difference.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36   #11
Mr Edd

WOW!

Just fiddled with my thingy-ma-jiggly and and the car is definitely more responsive. The revs when started cold went to about 8 - 900 but settled down to normal after I went round the block.

Yes being an auto she wanted to move off a bit quicker but that is only a matter of getting used to it.

Gobsmacked!

This thread should be made a "How To" for others that come on and ask about a sluggish take off.

Edd

Old 09-09-2009, 18:01   #12
alexward

Car: Saab 9-5 Aero SportWagon-250bhp/350nm (Vader) and 2011 Kia C'eed EcoDynamics (wifes company car)
Same as Mr Edd says. WOW.
What a difference. Tightened my throttle cable this afternoon. Its like the car's been superchipped or something.
It honestly feels like its added BHP and torque!!
I advise anyone who's a sprightly driver to do this. You won't believe the difference. There's now no delay in power.
On close inspection, I was amazed at how slack it was. Lifted the cable in its housing out of the bracket, turned it a few times, and hey presto.
Great advice Mr Constantine. Rep given.
alexward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 21:04   #13
Southern Storm

Car: MG ZT190 + MG ZS 180 Typhoon + Honda Civic
I did this on the ZS and was remarkable in the improvement it made, in fact, back in a minute.........
Southern Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 21:16   #14
Southern Storm

Car: MG ZT190 + MG ZS 180 Typhoon + Honda Civic
OMG how slack was my cable? Forgot all about this so top one fordoing it with the photo's. Something that all the new perspective ZT/ZS owners need to check. Don't forget if the cable is slack you never get the throttle fully open either so performance suffers all round. Top work and rep forwarded as appropriate.
Southern Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 01:14   #15
mrconstantine

Glad it's worked for you guys! I tightened mine even further so theres no play at all in the pedal, its so much better I can't get over it.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:58   #16
alexward

Car: Saab 9-5 Aero SportWagon-250bhp/350nm (Vader) and 2011 Kia C'eed EcoDynamics (wifes company car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconstantine View Post
Glad it's worked for you guys! I tightened mine even further so theres no play at all in the pedal, its so much better I can't get over it.
There's no play in mine either. The car actually feels like its got 188bhp now!!
alexward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 13:08   #17
dadragon

Car: 54 Rover 75 CDTi conn SE (mum)04 Rover 75 CDTi Conny 160(Dad) 54 Rover 75 CDTi contemporary (son)
I have just tried this myself and manged to screw the plastic cap quite a sustantial way from its original position.

I continued to tighten the cable a quarter of a turn at a time until i found the borderline taking my car from a 600rpm idle to 1000rpm. One quarter turn back and left it at that. Although the cable still seems fairly slack, there must be some improvement from peoples posts above so will see how it goes! Plus the fact it must have done something as going too far raises the idel revs, so will take the car for a blast later and see what happens

Great contribution mrconstantine.
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 13:14   #18
AceFactor

Car: Rover 25
One thing to mention is be careful when you tighten it up as I've found when I tightened it up before it was start to stick a little if it was a hot day sitting in traffic as the material heated up and expanded

Adam
AceFactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 13:22   #19
dadragon

Car: 54 Rover 75 CDTi conn SE (mum)04 Rover 75 CDTi Conny 160(Dad) 54 Rover 75 CDTi contemporary (son)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFactor View Post
One thing to mention is be careful when you tighten it up as I've found when I tightened it up before it was start to stick a little if it was a hot day sitting in traffic as the material heated up and expanded

Adam
Very true Adam,

I did this on my previous 200vi and got some wierd looks from other drivers when sat at traffic lights along side me!
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 13:36   #20
Rover_King

Car: Rover 45 1.8 Connoisseur
can you do this to the 4 cylinder k series?
Rover_King is offline   Reply With Quote