Rover 45-Timing belt replacement. - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 20-09-2010, 11:06   #1
mojo49

Car: City Rover
Unhappy Rover 45-Timing belt replacement.

Hi all. I want to change the timing belt on my rover 45/1.6cc ohc (02 reg). according to the haynes workshop manual, there is a metal plate opposite the starter motor, that allows access to the flywheel, enabling me to "chock" the flywheel, so I can undo & remove the crankshaft pulley, thus removing the timing belt. I am having trouble locating this metal plate, so would appreciate any & all help from the forum, please. Thank you.
mojo49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-09-2010, 11:36   #2
1955diesel
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
I think it depends on the model/gearbox, but if you don't have a cover plate opposite the starter motor, just take the motor itself off to access the flywheel. An alternative is to put it into top gear and then stand on the brakes or stop the hubs from turning by some other means.
1955diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-09-2010, 11:57   #3
Captain Slow

Car: S1 Elise 111S/Streetwise VVC
Look at the sump, then cast your gaze along towards the gearbox. If I remember correctly it's on the sump side of the gearbox (it's been a few months since I did mine).

I didn't remove the cover or lock the flywheel-but then again I had the fortune of being equipped with an air gun so the likelihood of the crank jumping teeth when the bolt was undone was less.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-09-2010, 19:40   #4
mojo49

Car: City Rover
Talking Timing belt-flywheel cover/plate.

Hi. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated & a great help. Thanks again.

Regards

Mojo
mojo49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message