Rover 25 Dangerous Electrical Fault - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 14-10-2004, 20:46   #1
montyturbo

Car: MG ZS
Angry Rover 25 Dangerous Electrical Fault

About three weeks ago my girlfriends Rover 25 broke down, as she was pulling into the carpark at work, it simply cut out no lights on the dash, no hazards, the only thing left working was the stereo and the heater fan!

Green Flag couldn't identify the problem and recovered the car back to the dealer who phoned us the following day to say it was simply a fuse that had blown and we could pick the car up.

Today the same thing happened with one slight difference, this time the car cut out on the motorway, at motorway speed, causing chaos as drivers swerved to avoid it. Same thing, just cut out without warning and left without even hazard lights to warn other drivers of the danger. Luckily my girlfriend managed to coast the thing to the hard shoulder but it was very close to causing a pile up.

Green Flag checked every fuse and said it was a mystery, they were all intact and the car seemed in good order. He simply couldn't explain what had caused it to cut out or why it now simply would not start and had virtually no other electrics. We have just had to get green flag to dump the car on the dealers forcourt for them to sort out again.

Anyone know if this is a known problem, or what may be causing this? The cars a 53 plate 1.4.

I could use some info for when we return to the dealer, if this is a fuse I want the cause of it blowing finding out and rectifying, this is a potentially lethal fault that almost caused a serious accident!

Incidentally, the car has never let us down before this, it went for service the day before it first broke down, could they have disturbed something when they serviced it?

Any info would be appreciated?

Thanks
montyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2004, 21:00   #2
Psycho_Ferret

Location: Studying Electrical and Electronic engineering at the University of Manchester (Was UMIST)
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Send a message via MSN to Psycho_Ferret
If an electrical circuit blows once, then fine replace the fuse. If it blows twice dont even consider getting in the car again untill you've found out whats causing it.

The stereo and heater fan I think bypass the main fusebox because
1) The heater fan is a high current device and requires its own dedicated fuse.
2) The radio has to run on its own circuit to keep a backup of the radio code.

For the car to conk out like that means a serious electrical fault - probably under the bonnet because you'd hear the short circuit go 'crack' if it was inside the car. It would have to draw at least 80 amps current to get the main battery fuse to blow...

If the fuse hasn't gone (I'm betting that it has, but you just cant see that its gone) it means that some of the wiring has fused under the bonnet somewhere. An electrical fire is a very dangerous and very pronounced thing - use your nose to find burned out wiring because it's got a powerful god awful smell. Your prime suspect would be the starter motor and its surroundings, and then have a sniff around the under bonnet fuse box.

The dealer has _definitely_ broken something - it would have shown up by now - probably left a cable loose. Therefore you should demand that they fix it properly.

If the dealer cannot find the fault - demand your money back or a replacement car because it will happen again - and next time you might not be as lucky.
Psycho_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2004, 21:51   #3
Amagoza

Car: Other Manufacturer
A friend had a similar problem on a Toyota Hilux. There was something loose and it fouled the battery terminals and caused a short circuit.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the car to cut out is a major short circuit.
Amagoza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2004, 22:50   #4
Mike12345

Dont go near it!

Bit serious, best get this one sorted out asap!
Mike12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2004, 22:59   #5
Liamm83

Car: Rover 25
Let us know how you get on. Best of luck sorting it quickly.
Liamm83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2004, 00:03   #6
montyturbo

Will keep you all posted on what the dealer says when they have looked at it but the car isn't going anywhere (not that its capapble of going anywhere) until I know for sure what the problem is and that it has been completely resolved. Today was very very frightening to say the least.

Still convinced that something happened to the car during its service but I doubt the dealer would ever admit it! Unfortunately, our local dealer, Inchcape in Burton on Trent, are, in my opinion, c**p.

Cheers

Old 15-10-2004, 06:02   #7
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Battery Connections!!!
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2004, 08:07   #8
Psycho_Ferret

Location: Studying Electrical and Electronic engineering at the University of Manchester (Was UMIST)
Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Send a message via MSN to Psycho_Ferret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Ingram
Battery Connections!!!
Surely not if it's blowing fuses?!?
Psycho_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2004, 08:33   #9
SteveChilds
Supporter

Tournaments Won: 1

Car: ZR TD, ZS 180 in Aurora
Garages
Send a message via MSN to SteveChilds
You're not that far away from Lichfield, personally I'd use Friarsgate in Lichfield, they're by far the best dealer around here.

Old 15-10-2004, 12:28   #10
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Ferret
Surely not if it's blowing fuses?!?
Perhaps that info was a bit of dealer bullsh!t to restore the customers confidence in the car after an unexplained failure??
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2004, 18:10   #11
Neil brotherton

Car: Other Rover
When the fuse is replaced and the car starts and drives for a period of time then the fuse blows, sounds like an intermitent fault. Could be a wiring harness through the bulkhead that has chaffed on the body.

Or, I heard that some one on the threads had a ZSV6, and he had a small electrical fire in his fuse box, this was caused by the main supply from the battery to the fusebox been loose, could that be the problem?

Anyway I would get the stealer to drive the car for a few days to see if the same thing happens to him before u get the car back. O and make sure he puts some fuel in if he uses the car!
Neil brotherton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-10-2004, 17:04   #12
montyturbo

Angry No idea what is causing the fault.

Well the dealer has now had the car 6 days, they have got it running again but still have no idea what is causing the fault and have today asked us to go pick it up and take it back if the problem occurs again!! I am refusing to collect it.

Anyone got any advice on where I can go from here? I am really not happy for me or my girlfriend to be driving this car, it is a potential death trap. We were very lucky last time the car cut out!

Anyone know where we stand legally with this?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Old 20-10-2004, 17:12   #13
empsburna

you will have to prove that they caused the problem. difficult i know. Stand your ground and tell them you want the problem/resolution/fix in writing.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-10-2004, 17:22   #14
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Not fit for purpose?

Old 20-10-2004, 23:04   #15
Liamm83

Car: Rover 25
Go slam off the road and into a wall, then take them to court saying it was unfit to leave the forecourt.

Liam

P.S. The words 'slam' and 'into wall' should maybe be replaced with 'gently collide with' and 'hedge.'
Liamm83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-10-2004, 07:47   #16
cosb6

Car: MG ZR
Ask them if they've fixed the problem, not if the car now starts...

Any car that unexplainably cuts out is not fit for purpose.... if they haven't fixed it, they should!

Problem is, if they can't replicate it... what can they do?
cosb6 is offline   Reply With Quote