ZT-T CDTi Starting Problem - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 27-09-2005, 17:06   #81
Sterling

Car: MG ZT + Rover 75
Hi,

I also have a MG ZT CDTi, and nearly the same problem. If i turn the key in position II and do not start the engine, the fuel pump is running for about 1 minute. However the car starts normally each time, so i have no starting problems.

Now i read in the workshop manual that this is ok, the motor control unit tells the fuel pump relais to produce a fuel pressure of 2,5 bar. This should take about 1 minute.

My problem is, that this procedure goes off in a loud noise, which is absolutely not normal.

So my dealer changed the fuel pump, but the noise is still there. My car is one of the first MG ZT CDTi with the new front. My dealer told me, that MG Rover seems to have put a new Model of a fuel pump in the car when launching the facelift in 2004. You cannot take an old fuel pump of a 2002 model into "my" car. Pardoxically in a 2005 model, or even in the late 2004 models they put again the "old" pump, which is also fitted in a 2002 model.

But you cannot put the "old" fuel pump in my car, becuase the connectors are different. Therefore my delaers says this is state of the art. But i canīt imagine, that MG rover put a pump in the car, which is so loud, when the old one is so quiet.

So is it really possible, that MG Rover chnaged the fuel pump in 2004? Perhaps this can also help.

When the car arrived at the dealer, there was no fuel in the tank. So the engine and with it the pump drags air.

Thanks for your answers

Sterling
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-09-2005, 17:14   #82
MattL

Car: MG ZT 180 SE in XPG.
running the pump without fuel in the tank is very bad for the pump and will almost certainly have damaged it as it relies on the diesel to lubricate the pump.

You sometimes get a noisy pump from the pump mfr. I have known of other issues with similar pumps from other makes of cars. Normally changing the pump solves the problem (as its the pump thats noisy).
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-09-2005, 17:22   #83
pugwash

Car: Other Manufacturer
Sorry to hear of your problems

My brothers 75 suffered from a very similar tale and it turned out to be a bad fill of diesel.........the tank and pump were cleaned out and no more problems.

You have`nt recently filled up at a different garage have you???

Good Luck

Martin.
pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-09-2005, 09:20   #84
Sterling

Car: MG ZT + Rover 75
Hi,

the dealer filled in about 10 Liters of Diesel, when the tank was empty. Then he vented the engine after that the car starts, and I drove a few Kilometers. After that test-drive I checked the navigation system, and then there was that noise: Meanwhile I refueled my car completely with fuel of a fuel station. I do not think that their fuel was dirty. Might be the dealers 10 litres.

Sterling
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 20:12   #85
Rukka

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavies4
Rukka - ref. you problems at present - I have had a look at the RAVE CD - has anyone questioned the functioning of the Glow Plugs - I know that when the engine is warm they are pretty well ignored but it was just a thought..

cheers!.
Hi, This was an initial thought - glow plugs - but as the car is dieing when it is running I discounted the theory.

I'm starting to get a bit fed up with it now. The dealer does not know when the ECU is coming back. I phoned around last friday and actually found the place where the ECU is being repaired but the guy was basically rude and abrupt and would'nt tell me anymore than "yes I have it and I'll do it when I get round to it" !! Must admit I was a bit stunned that these people think thay can deal with their potential customers in this manner !

By next weekend it will have been away for a month and I'll be looking to the original seller to either replace the car or refund my cash if it isn't fixed by then.
The sad thing is I actually like the car and the dealer I bought it from has been brilliant - but I just want it sorting one way or another.

By the way - I like your Black ZT (is it Black) - the dealer has an 04 one like that - 1.8t which I may well be having by next weekend........................................... .................................

Rukka
Rukka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2005, 20:17   #86
Rukka

Well......................

The time has arrived.

My ECU was returned today from the "ECU REPAIRER" - car apparently now starts and runs OK - although I've not seen it.

But, the ECU mender has added/deleated a few new features.

Things like temp guage not working, rev-counter not working, fan running full speed constantly, etc, etc

So that's it - ZTT bye bye.

I think I have been more than patient - car has been away now for 5 weeks, that's actually 1 more week than I had it!!!

Soooooo............

"What now" I hear you ask?

Hello 1.8t ZT - In Anthracite with Gunsmoke Alcantera; 18" Hairpins, Big rear spoiler, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Well - that's if it is all OK - not seen it in the flesh yet - but it should be as it is only just over 12 months old......

I'll let you know tomorrow............

I'll also let you know where NOT to take an ECU and where NOT to have any work done on your Zed !

Old 14-10-2005, 20:21   #87
Ti Rich

Car: BMW 330d M-Sport
Rukka

You have all our sympathies, hope the next one is better!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2005, 09:48   #88
sdavies4

Rukka - It is almost unbelivable that they gave you your car back like that....but I suppose that the only thing to come out of this is that it was the ECU.....I suppose if a new one could have been sourced the car would have been A1...

I hope your new one gives you no cause for concern - keep us posted...

best of luck (gutted for you)

Time to Name and Shame I think!

Last edited by sdavies4; 15-10-2005 at 10:26.
sdavies4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2005, 17:55   #89
Rukka

Time to name and shame indeed

Gordon Lamb - Sheffield - thanks for keeping my car for 5 weeks and still not fixing it !

Lynx Automotive - Nottingham - Thanks for **** all really - took you 3 weeks to further destroy my ECU. You are also rude and aggressive when I only called you once to see how long you expected the repair to take.

My advice - don't use either of these clown outfits unless you have a spare car and loads of patience.

CDTi now is gone - I now own a 2004 1.8t ZT in Anthracite

Big thanks to Chris and Mark - Eckington Motors - part of Direct Cars - Sheffield

www.directcars.co.uk

These guys could not have been more helpful and lent me a car while all of this was going on, took the CDTi back and got me the ZT 1.8 at a fantastic price.

Hats off to them - if you are looking for a car then go there - they treat you right !

Old 21-10-2005, 10:10   #90
gbtvr

Car: Rover 75
Smile

I know why I was getting the problem now, new fuel Tank Pump! Ģ350 ouch.

Sorted though.
gbtvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 22:51   #91
mark & sarah

hi there REVOL ...was your car taking alot of cranking over before it started, After you fitted new relay , was problem solved ? Seems like the cheapest option for me i think..
mark & sarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 22:56   #92
FLYER

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark & sarah View Post
hi there REVOL ...was your car taking alot of cranking over before it started, After you fitted new relay , was problem solved ? Seems like the cheapest option for me i think..
this thread is nearly 5 years old so you would be better starting a new thread . flyer.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 23:11   #93
mark & sarah

HI Matt L having similar starting problems, mechanic told me today that low fuel delivery at pipes on engine, would this you think be down to a faulty relay............ AS STORY GOES ----
..we're having problem starting our 2003 mg-zt cdti on mornings/cold days.
We try and start car as normal with glow plug indicator on dash coming on and going off as normal. Then turn the key to find that it turns over but doesn't start (Quickly draining battery)... I've had new battery fitted and new glow plugs,
If i use jump leads to help start it it turns over quicker then it eventually starts
Once car has started then we have no problems all day until the next morning...
Had diagnostic done today with fault code P3505 (81, 82, 35, 51) also spoke to rover place (Best Of British) advised that could could have water where the ecu and glow plug relay is located but fortunately not the case so really don't now what to do next....Can anyone help please..........Mark
mark & sarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 23:31   #94
rolled1

Car: Other Manufacturer
Check your battery connections are tight,also check your battery voltage before starting,it should ideally be around 12.8v,if you dont have a multimeter/battery tester they can be got for under a tenner.Perhaps something is causing your battery to lose voltage overnight?,not completely drained but even below 12v will cause starting problems,your car is starting ok with help from another battery plus once it is started the alternator then takes over so sounds to me like something is draining the battery.Also before starting make sure everything is off-heated rear windscreen,heaters,lights,radio etc..
rolled1 is offline   Reply With Quote